Friday, January 18, 2013

Berks!

I'll be going back to campus on the 20th and before *sobs* I abandon this blog *sobs* yet again, I'd like to share with you some books that I find awfully interesting. Yes, awfully interesting, not just interesting. Now this is kind of hard, because I say this after reading almost every book: This is the best book I have ever read. So I will really try to minimize the scope of "awfully interesting" because ain't nobody got time for a 50 page blog entry. I mostly read fiction, but I also read autobiographies and self-help stuff - What to do if you're hitting 19 and terrified of the future - you know, that kind of stuff. Not that I've come across the book though. I'd gladly buy three copies if that one exists. 

There's just so many talented authors out there, some make me gasp and just close the book because I can't take the thrill anymore, some make me laugh for a full five minutes. The best kind of books are usually the ones that make me gasp and laugh as I turn the pages. Sigh. I wish I can write that good, you know what I'm sayin'?

When I was younger I liked to read chick lits. You know, the one where the protagonists are women and they end up falling in love with some attractive hotshot guy and oh no, the guy has a girl or he has a secret or she has a secret and they fall into a complicated relationship yadda yadda happy ending. I believe not all chick lits are like that but most of the chick lits I read were. So I'm talking based on experience here, don't come at me bro.

But then as I aged I was more inclined towards psycho thrillers, true crime, historical fiction and anything that has got to do with family relationships and tears. Oooh I love them tears. It's not like it's hard to make me cry, you can show me a clip of an animal trying to search for food for its little ones and I'd be spilling buckets of tears in no time, but some books are so good I found myself producing loud and angry sobs, I kid you not.

So without further ado - 


Psycho thriller at its best.

Kill Me - Stephen White
genre: fiction, thriller, suspense

I just finished this book yesterday, to be precise. It is amazing, this is one of the books that actually had me gasping at one point and then laughing at another and I was close to tears when I reached the end. It's about a man who hired people to kill him under certain circumstances. Yes, I can't believe it too when I first read the synopsis. Plus I fell in love with the deuteragonist,  too bad he died in the end. Well. He got what he wanted. The protagonist is a clinical therapist and this book is just one of the many experiences he had to share. Page turner and un-put-downable alert! I'm going to keep an eye open for more of Stephen White the next time I get into a bookstore.







wikipedia.org

A thousand splendid suns, The kite runner - Khaled Hosseini
genre: historical fiction, inspirational 

I CAN'T EVEN TELL YOU HOW THESE TWO BOOKS MADE ME FEEL. CAN YOU GIMME A SECOND. 

Khaled Hosseini is undoubtedly my favourite author, these two books were written beautifully. I made an individual entry for each book back in '10 and '11, I don't think you can find them anymore, 99% of my blog posts are deleted. These two are a MUST READ. Made me cry like a damn crybaby. I can't wait for his next book - And the mountains echoed - in March. If it gets released in the US in March I wonder when will it actually hit Malaysia's bookshelves. Unless they release worldwide, at the same time, I don't know and I must know. 



writes2escape.files.wordpress.com

For one more day - Mitch Albom
genre: fiction, philosophical novel

This book has touched so many hearts, I'm sure of that. I've also read Tuesdays with Morrie by the same author and it was amazing too but I found that FOMD gripped harder at my heart, I don't know how to explain the feeling. I think its because FOMD is fictional and you know, when its a work of fiction you can really play with words and create a never-gonna-happen-in-real-life plot, as opposed to a non-fiction like TWM. TWM was deeply inspiring but I didn't feel that feeling I felt with FOMD. Haha maaan I need to pump up my vocabulary.





lookatmybooks.tumblr.com

The Diary of a Young Girl - Anne Frank
genre: autobiography

Seriously if you haven't read this one please do. This girl has an interesting way of viewing the world, not to mention the maturity she has at that age - simply applaudable. 





bookxcessblog.com


The rosary girls - Richard Montanari
genre: psycho thriller, suspense

This book made me wince and squirm in every way possible. Say hello to gore and scary mental images. It's the kind of book you have to cover the last few lines at the end of every chapter so that you won't make the mistake of reading it first before you get finished with the page. It's that good. And the antagonist? What a psycho. I condemn him to this very day. 





friends4rpl.wordpress.com

To kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee
genre: fiction, social drama

This book is the kind of book you will read and reread again. It never gets old.  But I heard this book is controversial though, some people want it banned. I don't see why it should be, it isn't offensive in any way - to me, that is. I used the word offensive because this book is mainly regarding the tension between the whites and the blacks during that time, I believe the time setting is somewhere in the 1930s. But Lee delivered this book in a beautiful manner, I think there was a dialog that went like this: 

"Don't say nigger (...)"
"But everyone at school does,"
"From now on it will be everybody less one."

That last line, the one I did in bold - I'll hold on to it. Carries a lot of meaning. You know what they say - speak the truth even if your voice shakes. Stand up for truth even if it means standing alone. 

Read this book, period. 

I am getting tired! So here's one last book - 


theliterarygathering.blogspot.com

The kitchen god's wife - Amy Tan
genre: fiction, multiculturalism

Remember Sagwa? The cartoon series that used to air on Disney? The Chinese Siamese Cat? When will I stop asking questions? 
Amy Tan is actually the mastermind behind the whole Sagwa thing. I KNOW RIGHT IT'S AMAZING. Sagwa belongs to Amy, yup the cat exists! (I believe belonged and existed) Hence the whole cartoon series I suppose. Anyway, TKGW was an amazing read. I've read it numerous times and I might read it again. Alas it's battered, boo hoo. It's pretty much about a young woman who put up with so many things - marrying the wrong man and losing the children she loved so dearly. But things turned out well for her in the end, she migrated to America from China, got married to the right guy this time, but the scars remain. I remember one incident when the protagonist was vacuuming her carpet and trying her best to get the original shine of her worn out carpet but she couldn't and she compared that to the state of her heart. NOW TELL ME HOW TO STOP THESE TEARS. 

Now that was fun. I really enjoyed writing this entry oh my God you can't believe it. When you write about things you love - quality of writing put aside - it's just your heart and the keyboard. Just your heart and the keyboard. I will surely do more of these... book reviews in the future.  

Till then, Salaam :)


2 comments:

fathin zulkifli said...

gonna search those books in MPH soon :3 thanks piqah!

Shafiqah Omar said...

Heheh please do! most of these books are old though, but i believe the publishing will go on, esp yg bestsellers :3